The ACP-EU CULTURE, towards a viable cultural industry in the ACP countries
The Programme objectives
Implemented by the Organisation of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States (OACPS) and financed by the European Union (EU), the ACP-EU Culture programme illustrates the ambition to boost the competitiveness of cultural and creative industries in ACP countries.
With a budget of €40 million for the period 2019-2026, the programme aims to:
- Encouraging entrepreneurship, cultural innovation and youth participation;
- Creating decent jobs and increasing the income of artists and cultural professionals;
- Promoting the quality of productions and their distribution on national and international markets.
Tools for culture and innovation
- Decentralised support for the cultural and creative sectors
Based on a cascading funding system, the ACP-EU Culture Programme has created clusters in the six ACP regions that provide a targeted response to the needs of operators, publishing calls for projects at least once a year, open to all cultural and creative sectors.
An important support system for project leaders has also been put in place to guarantee the success of their initiatives.
- More support for the audiovisual sector
A support mechanism for audiovisual co-production in ACP countries complements the financing granted by existing co-production funds while facilitating their access to operators.
- The CultureXchange platform
The digital platform allows cultural professionals from ACP countries to meet each other, find out about new opportunities, share their knowledge and skills, seek funding and increase their professional visibility (www.culturexchange.eu).
From 2008 to 2017,
two generations of
for the ACP countries
Over the period 2008-2017, three programmes have contributed in supporting culture and creativity in the ACP countries. With a global budget of 45 million €, the ACP Films, ACP Cultures (2008-2011) and ACP Culture+ programmes (2012-2017) have enabled talent to surface, initiatives to be set-up, partnerships to be created and developed and cultural policies and funds to be put in place.
The 3 programmes in a nutshell:
(cinema, audiovisual, cultural
and creative industries, cultural heritage)
cultural events organised in ACP countries
cultural operators involved
(80% of whom are young people)
paid jobs during projects
people who attended cultural events (ACP countries and Europe)
(ACP countries and Europe)
(via social networks / VOD
/ youtube / TV / radio)
View the history of funded projects
A technical assistance for the management of the ACP-EU CULTURE program
A dedicated team of experts from the cultural sector provides support to the Secretariat of the ACP Group of Countries and the European Union. Based in Brussels, it is in charge of:
- Provide to the ACP Secretariat, in charge of the programme’s implementation, technical assistance and expertise in the administrative and financial management of the grant contracts
- Ensure the coordination of the programme’s activities, together with their communication and visibility in the ACP countries and in the EU
- Maintain and develop the specialized digital platform “culturexchange”